Friday, October 9, 2009

Doh the deer!

As I raced to get my camera to take a photo of the *cute* deer in our backyard, it decided to help itself to my basil! I was horrified to see that the deer had decapitated seven full-blooming chrysanthemum plants earlier this week... although I thanked them for resisting the temptation to eat them before our Little Miss's garden party.

When we moved in to our house, I mentioned to several neighbors my plans to plant a vegetable garden next season. This statement was met with non-subdued guffaws and wishes of 'good luck'. Witnessing up to nine (yes, 9!) hungry deer in our garden at one time, and being informed that deer can easily jump 8 feet from a stationary position... means that a vegetable garden might indeed be a challenge.

I tried to thwart devouring deer by planting herbs close to the house. Obviously, with the deer adding my herb garden to their smorgasbord, this hasn't been totally successful. I now declare it deer season in our garden. My planned arsenal of weapons is going to include an exuberant 3 and 5 year old with flailing arms, and some strategically placed cayenne pepper.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment